What you'll need
- “Green buildings” worksheet
- “Green buildings" reflection worksheet
- “Green buildings" glossary
Before the class, create a “What are green buildings?” slideshow template for students to add their slides to.
Green buildings terms and technologies
- Ask students to discuss with a partner: What’s the difference between energy efficiency and energy conservation? How do they help in the fight against climate change?
- Energy-efficient buildings reduce the amount of energy needed for things like heating, lighting, cooking, etc.
- Energy conservation refers to human behaviours and actions that use less energy such as turning off lights, turning off computers and turning down the heat.
- The less energy we use, the fewer greenhouse gas emissions there are and the less impact there is on the environment. This is better for our climate and part of a sustainable energy future.
- Write the words “green buildings” on the board.
- Brainstorm words or terms that come to mind when you talk about “green buildings” and write them on the board.
- Green buildings use energy, water and materials in a way that minimizes impact on the environment.
- Give students a digital or print copy of the “Green buildings” worksheet and review the task.
- Decide whether students work on their own or in pairs.
- Assign or let students choose a technology or term related to green buildings from the worksheet.
- Using the checklist, students research their term or technology and create a slide.
Create a slideshow
- Provide time for students to research and create their slides.
- Make sure students use credible, up-to-date and unbiased sources.
- Have students record their sources on a second slide.
- Students add their slide to the slideshow.
- Review the slideshow as a class. Students present their own slides and other students take notes and/or ask questions.
- Have students complete the “Green buildings" reflection worksheet and hand it in.
Modify or extend this activity
- Write a short exit slip or opinion piece about why energy-efficient buildings are important for a sustainable future.
- Learn about an energy-efficient building in your community or school district.